Sunday, June 26, 2011

Lasted leather hood beauty shots

I wanted to post some nice images of the first project created using the hood last. I am really excited about making a couple of these wood forms to use in my production process, as I think it will help improve the fit of the hood and allow me to do some things that would be difficult to do otherwise, like built-up designs.
Leather naturally has a bit of stretch, and a form like this helps to create the shape you need for a smooth, skintight fit with a minimum of seams - especially around the chin. I'm inspired by shoe production techniques, and feel like this is just scratching the surface of what's possible.
I am using a garment or chap-weight leather here, but the last is something I could use to make things using casing techniques - with veg-tanned or extremely heavy leather. There are definitely some experiments ahead...
I'm looking forward to feedback from the client on this one!

4 comments:

  1. I would love to be that client!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful work, as always!
    Bish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work!
    How can I become a tester for those hoods?
    The lockable version is very interesting ;-)

    Cheers Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Chriscologne... I do need fit models from time to time, so be careful what you wish for.

    ReplyDelete