Monday, December 12, 2011

Hood last test fit

Once I got the size and shape of the hood last where I wanted it, and after sanding the shape smooth I wanted to test the size with a hood. As you can see from the pictures, it fit just perfectly, and I am really happy with the way it turned out.
The sensory deprivation hood on the larger form is made of a pretty thick (and slightly spongy) leather, just the kind of hood I would want to place on the form to help shape and contour the leather to ensure a tight fit. The patent-leather hood on the smaller form is an example of another type of leather that would benefit from stretching over a wooden form to help fit a face contour better. Sure, they are a pain to make, but I will be able to make sculpted forms, casing and multi-layer hoods using these hood lasts as a foundation. Mu-hu ha ha (insert evil scientist laughter here!!) I can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. it looks like there the bigger hood is formed to accommodate headphones or am I mistaken?

    your craftsmanship is rare... the lasts themselves are pure art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ms. Charlotta,
    The larger hood has integrated high-density foam earpads. But you could definitely embed a headphone in that space as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you kind sir - to control all the subject's sensory input....mmmmm, that would be excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could definitely take someone places with total control over their sense of hearing...

    ReplyDelete