Sunday, July 29, 2012

Cat-hood!

Some of the most fun projects are the ones that come from other people's ideas. This is one of those: a cat hood, made by request. My favorite part was the specification: "The ears should be like cones." Love it!

The hood is made of top-quality Italian lamb leather. It's soft and stretchy, with a great sheen. It should fit like a glove...
The hardest part was cutting the foam into a cone shape. Not easy, but fortunately it was a small part. I could have used fiber fill or pillow stuffing, but I wanted the shape to bounce back if it got squished.
The second hardest part was sewing the ears in place. I did it before joining the front and rear panels together. I positioned them and held them in place with thin double-sided sewing tape, then topstitched carefully around the base.
My wife mentioned I should try a bull next...
...or maybe a ram? That would be a real challenge!

6 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you had a pattern for this ? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still working on it a little bit, but will post it when I'm done!

      Delete
  2. I am interested in commissioning one of these from you. Would that be possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry brainw0rm, I'm so busy at the moment I'm not taking on any new commissions... =0(

      Delete
  3. This.. I've been trying to find a good mask similar to this for forever! Why does no one make them ?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there isn't a big enough market maybe?

      Delete